Look Whoo’s 1 Series: DIY Inspiration and Projects

“The days are long but the years are short . ” ~ Gretchen Rubin

I think it’s true. I can’t believe that a year has passed since I first craddled a little baby in my arms. Yes, my daughter recently turned one and we held an owl themed backyard party to celebrate it.The owl idea came from a close friend of mine whose son was born just a day before my daughter. I thought it would be awesomely unique.Her son, in turn, was going to have an elephant theme.

I love seeing little girls dressed as princesses but I wanted something different for my daughter. Later on, another close friend who worked with me tirelessly through the preps suggested to add a tiara and make the theme an owl princess. An owl princess theme it is. The major colors were supposed to be pink and lime green but it eventually became a myriad of colors.

I liked what owls represent: wisdom, strength and aspiration and wanted my little daughter to have them too.
When the theme was decided, we looked for a venue. We found one that was quite spacious and near our area but it was expensive. I wouldn’t pay P35,000 for a birthday venue, would you?
So, we decided to have a homemade backyard party. In reality though, we used the front yard. I dunno why but backyard just sounds way cooler. I then started looking for owl party ideas on Pinterest.  For hours, I browsed through pictures of vibrant owl themed parties and diy party decors.

The ideas were just swirling around in my head for several days. Luckily, my dear friend and wedding planner, Mishi of etc handmade goodness was there to conceptualize the look and also help bring these  party ideas to life. Her husband and son would visit once or twice a week and we’d spend time making the details. The process was quite arduous but I find myself fortunate to have people such as family, friends and in laws to help in making these DIO (do it ourselves) projects. They helped in making pompoms, cutting and babysitting my little one.They even supplied me with owl stickers materials and decorations! During the party itself, all hands were on deck to make the party a hoot!

Let’s start with the ambiance. My father in law suggested that we hang a lot of balloons above the party area. It looks a lot more festive doesn’t it?

A photo garland of my daughter’s milestones too.

Now let’s take a look at the stage. We had planned an elaborate backdrop consisting of gold circles, pompoms, banners  and ropes. Unfortunately, due to time constraints and miscommunication, we weren’t able to execute our stage look well. Nevertheless,  everything was a labor of love.

To make the stage lively, we dressed it up with banners and lanterns. For the cake area, some of the lanterns were made into owls.The dessert bar on the left  has an assortment of candies and baked goodies. The “1” standee on the right was made using carboard and scrap fabric.

As the centerpiece for the dessert table, Mishi thought of having a cake with a crocheted owl topper.Remember, the amigurumi owl I made?She embellished her tiara with pretty little gems.Hoot hoot!

We also made use of free printables ( I must confess, I’m getting addicted to these). The birthday banner was made using printables from How to nest for less.

The cupcake toppers were  also free printables from One Charming Day. As for her lovely owl princess cake and sweet pastries, I’ll focus on them and  the other party suppliers in my next post.

I also wanted to make a chalkboard poster but used the back of an illustration board. I used dry erase crayons so it won’t smear .

For the guest tables, we had three set ups. Each had owl and yarn features. The mini buntings can be made from a variety of printables you can find on Pinterest. We weren’t able to take great pictures of the table settings so here are the mock ups instead.

To keep up with the theme, we also wore clothes with owls. Mishi made a boutonniere for my husband while I got a blouse from Divi. It looks exquisite doesn’t it?

Owl Boutonniere by Mishi Santos of etc handmade goodness

The birthday girl had two outfits of different shades of pink. We had a neon pink dress printed  with an owl design at the mall for a little over P100. Not bad right?:)

A children’s backyard party wouldn’t be complete without a piñata right? My husband made the coolest pull string pinata with a cardboard box! The kids were so eager to catch the candies!

I must say even if the plans weren’t executed perfectly, I enjoyed the process immensely. Yes, there were a few times I asked myself “why did I choose to do things by hand when it’ll only last for only a few hours?” There were also stressful times during the party planning and party itself. She’ll be turning one regardless of the celebration.She doesn’t even grasp the concept of a birthday party yet. But why make a big fuss? It’s because I love her, we love her, and we will always celebrate having her. We will always celebrate the day God transformed us from being husband and wife to parents.She is such a joy and blessing in our lives. We love her with OWL our hearts!

I think if you have the time  make DIY projects and people to lend a hand, go for it! It’ll cost less and be more meaningful for you and family. You also have the option to let others help you with your party details! Visit etc handmade goodness on their social media sites:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/etc-Handmade-Goodness-114984935257699/?fref=ts

Instagram: @etchandmadegoodness

So, what do you feel like having as a theme for your next family party?

Liked this post? Share it!

Comments

1. Kat Hali says:

The owl-themed party looks great! That must've taken so much effort in your part. It's rare for mommies nowadays to do the decorations themselves, I'm glad you have the time. Don't worry if your baby wouldn't be able to remember it, the first birthday is always a grand celebration and anyways you can always show her pictures when she's older. 🙂

2. Michelle Lee says:

This looks so beautiful! Moms who create these handmade parties make me feel like a bit of a failure lol! I only use things I buy at party supply stores lol! But you did a great job and when she gets older I'm sure she will love to see photos of this awesome party you threw for her!

3. ROBERT LEE says:

When I started reading this post, I was thinking… an owl? I have to admit, seeing the decorations, those owls look so cute! It's the eyes! Anyway, congratulations on your baby's 1st birthday. The atmosphere and doing it at home makes it more personal. I am sure after the party, there were a lot of cleaning up to do, but the experience and shared joy with people who matters more than makes up for it.

4. I love the vibrant and lively colors! You did a very great job. When I become a mother myself, I'd like to try throwing of such kind of party and to do it myself, too! It's an experience worth keeping despite the stress. Nice party!

5. I've never seen an owl-themed party before so looking at the decoration of your kid's party was interesting to me. I like the little details, everything is so cute!

6. Yogo Cream says:

Your owl-themed party looks amazing! Well, I've heard about Etc hand-made goodness and they're really awesome with their crafts. And I could totally relate with you on your statement, "Yes, there were a few times I asked myself "why did I choose to do things by hand when it'll only last for only a few hours?" There were also stressful times during the party planning and party itself." I made sort of a DIY party just recently with my 24th birthday and my best friends helped out with the decor. I think aside from making it for the birthday celebrant, we are doing it for our guests to enjoy the ambiance and to make it unforgettable for them too. Of course, when we host parties, we want give our best. I hope we'll have a big front yard like yours, so I won't have to rent a venue.

7. ASKSonnie says:

You're right, parents will do silly things, because we love our kid. I love the concept and the fact that you have family and friends that translated the idea into reality.

8. Alison says:

You are amazing! I could not pull off a party with so many decorations that you did yourself. This would be a perfect party for a child. I also really loved the idea of the birthday party with a garland of pictures from the year. What a great way to honor the birthday girl! Great job!

9. Congratulations for a job well done, mommy! Your labor of love did pay off. Your daughter's owl-themed was a wonderful!

10. Oh , how sweet ! And yes , your gorgeous little girl is a little princess , so so cute <3 I am sharing this lovely post on my FB page , my friends need to see this . They will be grateful for your inspiring ideas . Lovely all together , you are very talented and creative !

11. I love owls since I first read Harry Potter, a decade ago! I love them so so much! And it's also such a cute animal, isn't it??

12. I never thought that owls will look great in a kiddie party- wow! What an effort and creativity you just exhibited here in executing such whimsical idea. I wonder what will be the next theme for your daughter.-macy

13. Awww.. Amazing party! I had DIY party myself. It is really energy draining but amidst all the tiredness, you get rewarded by the compliments you get from your guests. Great blog you have here.

14. Pwede manggaya? My boy will be turning one this August though I'm having second thoughts re party pa. I would love us to go out, hotel overnight or resort perhaps, but my husband and mom nag that we have a party.

15. Unknown says:

I just have to say that I looooove your DIY party! Grabe any galing! Truly a labor of love! Hats-off!

16. kareen liez says:

Oh my this is so cute! I love owls actually and this make me want to gate crash in your party. LOL! So nice really. I also like the colors and all. I once made an owl clock for my daughter in school 🙂

17. Neri Ann says:

I love everything that is DIY! An owl party? So cute talaga! Congrats mommy mads for a job well done! Pwede kaya ang owl theme sa boys? He He He

18. What a cute Owl Themed party! Belated Happy Birthday to your daughter.

19. OWLS! You know, I am filled with so much joy as I read through your post. Because I love owls! Hihi. When I have a daughter na, I also plan on setting up an owl-themed party for her on her birthday. Anyway, thank you for sharing your daughter's birthday party to us. I can see how you poured and exerted much love and effort for your little one's party. 🙂

20. All I can say is congratulations, a job well done! Planning a DIY party indeed takes a lot of effort and creativity. My son will be turning 7 years old this coming September, the owl themed party looks nice but I don't think my son would like it he prefers action characters haha but this owl themed will be perfect for my daughters. thanks for sharing!

21. Louisa says:

Excellent decor and styling! The owl theme is very cute!

22. Nina Sogue says:

Wow this party looks amazing! It looks so professional and didn't feel like a DIY at all!

23. mommymadz says:

Thank you! Yeah, I'm happy we got a lot of good pictures to show her!

24. mommymadz says:

Thank you so much! Owls are really cute!

25. mommymadz says:

Thank you! I think so too.I think next year I'll have another diy but low key haha.Yes, you should definitely have a Diy party even just once!

26. mommymadz says:

I think cool rin ang owl party for boys! Pinterest has a lot of free printables! I hope you have a homemade party too! Exciting!