In line with my mantra this year, “more experiences, fewer things” I decided to attend my first ever web seminar or webinar. Honestly speaking, I hadn’t known such workshops existed before I saw a Facebook ad about it. I don’t consider myself a technically inclined person, you see, but I am open to learning something different every day. I am also thinking about starting a business so I needed some expert opinions in this area. Anyway, I promptly registered for this free webinar from Manila Workshops entitled, ” Preparing Yourself and Making Business Ideas Happen”. I was lucky because it got sold out days before the webinar.
So, last Saturday afternoon in my comfy house clothes, with a laptop on the bed and my trusty business planner, I clicked on a link that connected me to an audio seminar with two respected business leaders and bloggers, Ms. Ginger Arboleda and Mr. Bum Gutierrez. It recommended a headset but the signal and audio were good enough so I didn’t need one.
At first, I was unsure about what to do and how the webinar would go about so I just listened. I had actually wanted to ask some questions during the middle of the seminar but I only discovered the button for queries on the upper right side at the latter part of the session. Nevertheless, I was able to ask the speaker to recap the gist of how to prepare oneself for entrepreneurship with assessing one’s FITTness level.Here it is with some key points:
* Assess your financial condition first
* Use a system to track your income and expenses for at least 6 months before jumping into a business
* Be clear in your objectives for starting a business (e.g. for children’s education)
* Have a parachute fund to cover your business until the return of investment and emergency fund just in case untoward incidents happen in your family life ( e.g.critical illness)
* You need to look at what you are passionate about
* Have you learned all there is in your day job?
* What do you want to achieve?
Timing in your personal life
* Are you ready to adjust your lifestyle?
* Is there a major change happening in your life?
* Is your business plan aligned with family
* How is your health?
Timing in business
*You need to know when it is time to expand the business , stop or continue in the same direction
* At some point, you will need “enablers” who would help you fulfill your business objectives
I must say, I enjoyed joining the seminar.Being a stay at home mom, webinars are convenient for me since it allows me something else, such as breastfeeding which I’d be self conscious about in a live group seminar. Furthermore, it is also easy to ask questions because you don’t have to stand up and be recognized in front of an audience unlike in other seminars that I’ve attended. In short, attending a webinar is a great way for busy people like working and stay at home moms to learn in real time without the hassles of joining a live seminar such as commuting, dressing up formally, asking questions in front of an audience, etc.
Well, in case you’re opting to find work instead of starting a business, you might need help making a resume. I loved Online Resume Builder’s Resume Resource for Students.
How about you? Have you ever attended a webinar or would you consider joining one? Feel free to share your experiences/ learning!